How Do You Memorize Scripture?
By Rick Warren
“I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.” Psalm 119:11 (NIV)
If you want to grow strong and mature as a follower of Jesus, you have to memorize Scripture! God’s Word is truth—and planting it in the soil of your heart is a powerful tool for growth.
Psalm 119:1 says, “I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you” (NIV). Hiding God’s Word in your heart—memorizing it—helps you break patterns of sin in your life and mature in your faith.
If you’ve never memorized Scripture before, it may be intimidating. But you can do this! Maybe you think you’re not smart enough, or perhaps you’ve had trouble memorizing before. Here are some simple steps you can follow to start memorizing God’s Word today:
1. Pick a verse that speaks to you. Don't choose a verse because you think you should memorize it. Memorize it because you want to—because you believe it will make a difference in your life.
2. Say the Scripture reference before and after the text. For instance, with today’s verse, you would say, “Psalm 119:11, ‘I have hidden your word in my heart that I might not sin against you.’ Psalm 119:11.” Sometimes the reference is the hardest thing to remember, so by saying it out loud before and after the verse, it becomes easier to remember.
3. Read the verse aloud, and read it many times. Many people remember what they say, not what they read. As you say a verse aloud, you’re recording it in your mind.
4. Memorize it exactly. Don’t try to manipulate the Scripture before you learn it. Learn it as it is in the Bible.
5. Start by memorizing one verse a week. In time you may be able to learn two verses a week, but start slowly. As I mentioned in a previous devotional, if you memorize one verse a week, you will memorize 52 verses in a year! If you memorize two a week, that will be more than 100 in a year. You’ll carry so much truth and wisdom in your heart and mind for you to recall later.
I know people who have memorized entire books of the Bible. They’re not geniuses. They just decided they were going to do it—one verse at a time.
For more Daily Hope with Rick Warren, please visit pastorrick.com!
Live a Life Powered by the Love of Jesus!
God wants you to know how deeply loved you are—and to let that love lead your life decisions!
Learn how with Pastor Rick’s 40 Days of Love Bible Study, our thanks for your gift to reach more people around the world with the message of God’s love through Daily Hope.
In this six-session video study with companion workbook, Pastor Rick shares practical, Christ-centered teaching to help you authentically love God and love your neighbor. By focusing on patience, kindness, truth, and forgiveness, you’ll discover how to let God’s love lead you into the full life he has for you!
So ask for your copy when you give below and thank you for your partnership!
*The USA IRS code permits you to deduct the amount of your financial gift to Daily Hope that exceeds the fair market value of materials you received from Daily Hope.
This devotional © 2018 by Rick Warren. All rights reserved. Used by permission.
You can listen to Rick Warren on OnePlace.com.